SQL Server on Linux
Since 2017 CU4, the SQL Server Agent is no longer a seperate package.
To enable SQL Server Agent:
- sudo /opt/mssql/bin/mssql-conf set sqlagent.enabled true
- sudo systemctl restart mssql-server
- During setup export MSSQL_AGENT_ENABLED=’true’
Replication Agents on Linux are in preview aka.ms/sqleap
- Replication Agents are packaged in the server package.
- Replication can be setup across Windows/Linux and use AD Auth
- Docker support is currently being tested and will come soon.
- Replication Agents on Linux can be managed via SSMS on Windows and normally tools as mainly done via stored procs
- Snapshot,Transactional and Merge Replication are supported
- Publisher,Distribtutor or Subscriber can be on Linux
- SQLOps Studio can be used to configure snapshot replication via stored procs
I have been playing with the new SQL Server on Linux command line tools
Very nice that sql-scripter has an option to limit output to a given SQL Server Version and even better Edition although did find an issue with this option and will be providing feedback to Microsoft.
Here are the slides for my recent talks on SQL Server on Linux – SQL Server 2017 goes cross platform!